Learning in Afterschool & Summer - How Kids Learn
This video describes five learning principles that are key to promoting young people's learning. Produced by Temescal Associates and Change Agent Productions.
Learning in Afterschool & Summer Project - How Kids Learn from Learning in Afterschool & Summer on Vimeo.
Available Now: Introductory Guide to Integrating the Learning In Afterschool & Summer (LIAS) Learning Principles in Program Design and Practice
To promote the large-scale integration of the LIAS principles, we developed Introductory Guide: Integrating the Learning in Afterschool & Summer (LIAS) Learning Principles in Program Design and Practice. This guide includes:
- An interview with California Superintendent, Tom Torlakson;
- A review of recent research on afterschool programs;
- An up-to-date glossary on afterschool program terms;
- Examples of exemplar activities being conducted by California afterschool programs;
- Things that programs can do right now to begin aligning themselves with these principles;
- An observation rubric that programs can use to assess their own activities; and
- Several orientation and training activities that program leaders can use to introduce these principles to their staff and school stakeholders.
This introductory guide can be purchased by writing to the Learning in Afterschool & Summer project at email@example.com. The purchase price of this 118-page color guide is $30, plus postage.
Conversations with OST Leaders
We will be posting a series of videotaped interviews with educational and OST leaders. You can view the first three of these now on our Video Page of our website. This video below features a selection of numerous leaders on the LIAS learning principles they find most important.
The LIAS project is piloting the awarding of digital badges to LIAS youth and adult ambassadors and exemplar afterschool and summer programs. This project is a partnership between Temescal Associates, Public Profit, and Youtopia. It will be expanded to include badges for program participants, program staff, and exemplar programs and providers. See the brief video!